Laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery performed?
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a digestive disorder that affects the lower esophageal sphincter (the muscular ring connecting the esophagus with the stomach). Laparoscopic antireflux surgery (also called Nissen fundoplication) is used in the treatment of GERD when medicines are not successful.
- This surgery involves reinforcing the valve between the oesophagus & the stomach. It wraps the upper portion of the stomach around the lower portion of the oesophagus.
- In this laparoscopic surgery, the surgeon uses small incisions of 1/4 to 1/2 inch to enter the abdomen through the trocars. CO2 gas is used in this surgery to expand the abdomen which helps the surgeon to see in depth and work.
- The laparoscopic surgery is performed by connecting a tiny video camera attached to the surgical tool called a Laparoscope, which is inserted through a small incision, it gives a magnified view of the patient's internal organs on a connected screen.
- Here the entire surgery is performed "inside" using narrow instruments that are passed through the trocars.
What should you expect after surgery?
- After the surgery, patients are encouraged to start doing light activity at home & should avoid lifting heavy materials or perform strenuous activity for a short period of time.
- In this surgery, post-operative pain is generally light, although some patients need the medication for pain for a short period of time.
- Once this surgery is done, anti-reflux medications are not required.
- Patients need to follow the diet provided by their surgeon after the surgery. The diet contains liquids and some solid foods for a gradual process in the diet. Your surgeon will also provide you with a list of restricted food after the surgery.
- In laparoscopic surgery, you will be able to get back to your normal daily routine life within a short time period. This will include driving, showering, walking, lifting, working & engaging in sexual intercourse.
We at Infinity Gastro Plus will provide you with the best surgery, treatment & care performed by our experienced doctors headed by Dr. Ronak Malani M.S. & DNB (Gastro Surgery and Liver transplant) Specialist & Best Gastroenterologist in Surat.
If you are looking for more information or have any query, you can write to us on email@example.com